The nutrients in seafood are beneficial to the body. But improper consumption or inferior raw materials can also cause illnesses as well.
Food poisoning is a syndrome that causes diarrhea, nausea and vomiting, usually caused by eating seafood contaminated with pathogens due to deterioration in food quality. Especially in hot summer when food tends to spoil faster than usual. Therefore, the risk of this syndrome is even higher. In addition, chemicals used to prolong food Such as formaldehyde or other chemicals that contaminate food can also cause the symptoms.
Many people believe that consuming raw seafood is safe from parasites. In addition, many people prefer to eat uncooked food. Like raw fish Shrimp in fish sauce Or fresh oysters, which in fact Eating raw seafood is a risk of getting anisakis, a parasite that lives in marine life. Exposure to this type of parasite can lead to acute poisoning. Resulting in abdominal pain Nausea and vomiting If chronic toxicity occurs, there is a risk of bowel obstruction and enteritis.
Mercury is a heavy metal naturally present in animals. Excess mercury exposure can lead to disorders of the immune system, kidneys and brain, especially in infants and children. If the fetus is exposed to mercury too high, brain abnormalities or complications may occur during pregnancy. Although most seafood products do not contain the harmful content of a single serving of mercury. But some marine fish have higher mercury content than others. Like eagles, swordfish, mackerel, and sharks, those at risk should avoid or consume only small amounts.
High blood cholesterol
Although the omega-3 fatty acids in this diet may help reduce the level of bad cholesterol in the blood, But if you eat them in excess and too often, they can increase cholesterol levels. Especially a menu that is cooked with fries. It may result in obesity, heart disease, stroke. And diabetes.
Some people experience food allergies after eating seafood, especially shrimp, mollusks, and crabs.This can result in red, itchy rashes on the body, runny nose, watery eyes, stuffy nose, swollen mouth, throat swelling.Some people with a severe allergic reaction may develop severe allergic reactions that: Can cause shock and death, so if you know you have such food allergies, you should avoid that type of food. Including food that is cooked together.
People in the risk groups such as infants, children, the elderly, pregnant women And people with underlying disease Ask your doctor about how to eat seafood safely to prevent illness.
How to buy and cook seafood safely
Here are some tips to help you eat seafood more safely:
It is best to purchase raw materials from many sources as fishing in some areas may be exposed to toxic substances from wastewater or industrial plants. Choosing to buy from multiple sources may lower your exposure to toxins.
- The ingredients purchased should be cooked on the same day or at the earliest time. In order to get the full flavor and nutrition And also to prevent eating that deteriorates quality
- Seafood perishable easily. Therefore, it should be eaten immediately after cooking. To put in the refrigerator all the time. The raw materials should be stored at the appropriate temperature and covered.
- If you are allergic to seafood. You should absolutely refrain from eating or cooking with that sea animal and place that kind of seafood separately from other foods.
- Shop for products that are quality and trustworthy. To prevent exposure to chemicals used to prolong food life
- In buying frozen seafood Always check the expiration date first. And choose packaging that has no tear marks
- Wash your hands with soap for at least 20 seconds after handling fresh food.
- Wash kitchen equipment Like a knife and cutting board Thoroughly before using it to cut other foods
- You should also limit your seafood consumption when visiting the buffet. Both in terms of quantity and frequency of eating To reduce the risk of disease that may arise Including eating other healthy foods in order to provide the body with complete nutrition.
In nutrients that are beneficial species.
Whether it is protein Omega 3 fatty acids (Omega 3) and essential minerals. But excessive or unhygienic consumption of seafood can be harmful to the body. Like food poisoning Mercury poisoning High blood fat Including weight gain.
Seafood has a distinct flavor that is different from freshwater meats or fish. So many people like this kind of food.
Nowadays , seafood restaurants are more common, making the consumption of seafood easier. If eaten properly, it may help to get complete nutrition. But on the other hand, if you eat too much or too often, it can lead to health problems. In this article, there are great tips on choosing safe seafood to leave each other.